Online Lab Sweden
9 – 10 September 2021
Re-designing the cinema experience in Sweden
Europa Cinemas joined forces for the first time with Film i Sörmland, Film i Skåne and Filmkonsulenterna Region Stockholm in order to organize an event (that took place September 9 and 10) for Swedish exhibitors and other industry professionals.
The main missions for this event were to get some perspective on the Swedish context, by learning from the good practices and experiences of other European colleagues and to create synergy among the Swedish professionals, following the Swedish Government announcement to lift all audience restrictions (put in place in November 2020).
The two-day event was moderated by Lena Ek (project coordinator, BUFF Malmö Filmfestival)
The first day started with a presentation of Europa Cinemas core actions, and was followed by presentations of three speakers from the Network on the initiatives they had developed during the last year:
- Mustafa El Mesaoudi (Director, Cinema Wuppertal and Rex Filmtheater, Wuppertal, Germany): Reopening strategies: “Back to the movies”
- Wiktoria Pelzer (Programmer, Stadtkino im Künstlerhaus, Vienna, Austria): “#doyouloveme? - Audience surveys as marketing tools during lockdown and closure of your cinema"
- Monica Naldi (Programmer, Cinema Beltrade, Milan, Italy): Reopening strategies: “Suggestions from a²n unreal exhibitor"
The second day, organized in Swedish by our partners, was opened by Ruben Östlund and followed by group discussions on the following topics:
- Reopening: how can cinemas draw in the audience?
- Johanna Koljonen’s concept of cinema experience: how to develop the cinema product to compete with the streaming services?
- European exhibitors: what experiences and ideas to get inspired from and insert to your own business?
The full report of the Online Lab Sweden is downloadable here.