Launched in 2021 with the financial support of the Creative Europe MEDIA programme of the European Commission, this initiative is built around three core ideas:
• INNOVATION, recognising that new approaches, practices and processes were necessary to deal with new realities in terms of culture, audience, society, technology and industry.
• COLLABORATION, in the sense of partnership and network building within Europa Cinemas and beyond.
• SUSTAINABILITY, meaning both environmental responsibility but also innovation that can be replicated and shared for efficient and effective, long-term development across the network and beyond.
This new funding scheme has also been inspired by Europa Cinemas “Audience Development & Innovation” labs and workshops, for shared innovations and best practice.
“Collaborate to Innovate” is intended to:
- Foster a climate of collaborative innovation (social, cultural and technological) in which fresh approaches and ideas are broadly shared and become part of the network culture.
- Stimulate new collective innovative and collaborative initiatives and practices amongst film exhibitors at a national, regional and European scale.
- Support solidarity amongst exhibitors to tackle together shared challenges, especially in the context of the COVID-19 crisis.
- Encourage innovation, particularly with the use of digital technologies to promote films and create new ways to connect audiences with cinema.
- Promote innovative collaboration between cinemas and all parts of the industry value chain, recognising that cinemas are at the core of the European audiovisual industry.
- Boost the circulation and visibility of European films and ultimately, their impact on audiences, particularly young audiences.
- Improve exhibitors’ skills and assets, in particular in marketing their venues and programming and in audience outreach.
- Develop new approaches that target specifically sustainability and inclusion, in cooperation with local partners.
- Ensure maximum participation of network exhibitors to strengthen their innovation strategies and improve their competitivity in their own market.