GREEN & SUSTAINABILITY STRATEGY CHARTER
The Europa Cinemas’ network believes all businesses and organisations have a responsibility to help tackle the threat of climate change and to work for a cleaner environment in the interests of health, community and diversity.
It supports the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, which promises citizen’s a high level of protection and improvements in the quality of the environment “in accordance with the principle of sustainable development.”
In this Charter, the Europa Cinemas’ network spells out core principles to guide its activities and commits to practical support for the development of programmes and activities.
While the contribution of film exhibition is limited in the overall context of global environmental action, cinemas have an important role in communities, with audiences and within the film industry. It believes that practical development of sustainable green activity can bring positive social, cultural and economic benefits to all.
Cinemas are in a unique position: as cultural influencers and curators; as social spaces at the heart of communities; as the audience-facing part of a global film industry; and as businesses and employers. The support for a sustainable environment for all complements other Europa Cinemas network commitments to diversity, inclusion and respect in every aspect of its work.
This Charter aims to help guide the network in creating effective and measurable action in each of those roles. It is intended to encourage participation and progress among all members across Europe encouraging collaboration and innovation and providing practical pathways to ensure its shared mission achieves measurable results in the context of national and regional economic, social and environmental development, national policy and local market realities.
The Europa Cinemas’ network is committed to:
1. Reduction of waste and to reuse and recycle materials.
2. Sustainable growth and reducing the network’s carbon footprint.
3. Consideration of environmental impact in decision-making processes.
4. Sharing knowledge and practical advice to all network members.
5. Encouraging understanding of environmental issues through programming and curation.
6. Setting transparent goals for activity and ensuring that audiences can share in and trust its actions and aspiration.
Europa Cinemas will turn those principles into action across the full diversity of the network and is committed to:
• Create transparent and achievable pathways and targets for all members within their own countries and regions.
• Creating and promoting transparent measurements to assess impact.
• Disseminating best practice and practical ideas throughout the network.
• Sharing data and knowledge on environmental impact and effective action.
• Encouraging collaboration and collaborative innovation between cinemas across borders.
• Offering a positive influence in the broader film value chain.
• Developing incentives to encourage green activity.
• Creating and sharing programmes and labels to support green films.
• Encouraging audiences to share and build on green goals.
• Creation of business, government community and technical partnerships.
• Active engagement and partnership with industrial and European green initiatives.
Europa Cinemas Network ACTIONS
This charter offers Pathways to action on sustainability by helping encourage activity, develop practical knowledge, skills and tools, and to advise on developing activities and plans.