Europa Cinemas Innovation Prize
Europa Cinemas, with the support of Creative Europe/MEDIA, rewards outstanding innovative projects and approaches by network cinemas through its Innovation Prize.
The Innovation Prize has been created in 2018 to highlight the variety, vitality and creativity of network cinemas and particularly projects and approaches that have the potential to inspire others in the following areas:
- Developing and engaging audiences,
- Using digital technology creatively and effectively,
- Building environmentally sustainable projects, as well as projects with a long-term socio-economic impact.
The Innovation Prize is awarded in the context of Europa Cinemas’ overarching objectives to:
- Support the circulation of European films, especially beyond their national borders,
- Develop a network of cinemas that can implement joint activities on a national and European level,
- Support initiatives aimed at attracting Young Audiences,
- Encourage innovation in the promotion of films and communication with the audiences.
The Prize is an Award of € 10,000.
The winner of the Prize commits to use this amount to continue building on the cinema’s innovation-oriented policy.
1. European programming results
Applications are open to cinemas that are members of the Europa Cinemas network and whose European results have led to financial support from Europa Cinemas for the programming of the two previous years.
2. Implementation period of the project
The projects submitted must have been put into effect by cinemas between January 1st and December 31st of the previous year.
3. Project category
Projects may include best innovative practices in the following categories:
- Offers & services for audiences
- Interior/exterior design of the cinema, including installations integrating environmental sustainability,
- Use of new technologies,
- Engagement activities targeting new and diverse audiences,
- Programming and activities aimed at young audiences,
- Community-building activities
- Inclusion and accessibility
- Organisational development / staff training
4. Project leader
A cinema / exhibition company may submit only one project each year.
The applying cinema theatre / exhibition company must be the leader of the submitted project.
Several cinema theaters / exhibition companies may present a project collectively. In the event this project wins the Prize, the winnings must be shared between the different project partners who submitted the application.
A jury composed of five cinema professionals and chaired by a European personality meets to consider all the applications received and to nominate a winner in line with the eligibility criteria.
2020 – Irish Film Institute, Dublin (Ireland)
2019 – Buda kunstencentrum, Kortrijk (Belgium)
2018 – Fyrisbiografen, Uppsala (Sweden)